Thursday, November 18, 2010

An Entire Micro-Economy Based Upon Lunacy

Our first, and last, stop once we left Arizona (home of the greatest Chimichanga in the world) and entered New Mexico was, obviously, Roswell.  I will spare you a long explanation of Roswell, as everyone knows what the stupid hill people made up in 1947.

Before we finally hit the metropolis of Roswell Proper, we drove through a lot of nothing:

Road Trip NM 002 Resized

Surprising, I know.

*Fun Aside* – I am an enormous fan of Bill Watterson’s Calvin and Hobbes.  It is embarrassing.  I still read the comics and have been influenced to an almost unbearable degree by the characters, the art style and, most importantly, the writing/vocabulary.  The books are, simply, perfect.  Because of the influence on my life, whenever I see a bootlegged version of Calvin excreting urine on a Chevy logo, or flipping someone off, I get a twinge of rage. 

Bill Watterson, with the exception of a calendar early in his career, refused to license his characters.  That’s why there are no Hobbes plush stuffed animals or Calvin coffee mugs.  Merits of his refusal aside, when I see the fake stickers or t-shirts or anything else, I feel like I need to defend Bill Watterson and that’s why the anger creeps up.  Now, I don’t get super crazy and yell and scream or whatever, but it does slightly affect me.

I have seen, over the years, hundreds, possibly thousands of Calvin stickers on the rear of cars.  I have never been so moved as when I saw this one, driving in New Mexico:

Road Trip NM 003

This sticker is the most appalling of the bunch.  I had never seen anything like it.  If you are unfamiliar with Calvin (Watterson by proxy), then I will only say that Calvin praying to a Christian symbol is, in the religion of C&H, blasphemous.  I wanted to firebomb this Toyota Sequoia with the intention of maiming the sticker buying decision-maker.

Ugh. 

*Fun Aside Over*

See?  Super fun.

When we finally made it into Roswell, New Mexico, we headed straight here (obviously):

Road Trip NM 010 Resized

If you can’t quite read it, the name of this place is “The International UFO Museum and Research Center”.  Yup.  The last part of the name is not a typo.  They are, apparently, actively researching Unidentified Flying Objects.  For real. 

After all of these years, sixty-three of them, all of the research that they have done (thankfully, using no tax dollars), has netted them a dreary looking warehouse building with, and I am not joking, the adult equivalent of fifteen middle school kids’ science projects.

When you enter, you are met at a grey desk by an elderly man with what appeared to be out of control nose tumors.  He, and his gigantic, bulbous mid-face asked you for five dollars each, then explained how to best enjoy the museum.  Basically, walk around and read a lot.

once we paid, we immediately put our little pins into the map, locating where we were from.  Here’s Amanda putting a pin into terrible, smelly and crappy New Jersey:

Road Trip NM 004 Resized

Blech.

Once the fun part was over, we started to walk around and read.  A lot.  Science Fair Project 1:

Road Trip NM 005 Resized

Yup.

Science Fair Project 2:

Road Trip NM 006 Resized

That’s an actual replica (made of plastic) of a piece of a UFO.  That’s alien writing.  Bet on it.

Science Fair Project 3:

Road Trip NM 007 Resized

This is the best example of what the museum had to offer.  Basically, you slowly slide left to right reading for tens of minutes on end.  Exciting.

Science Fair Project 4:

Road Trip NM 008 Resized

This was, by far, my favorite picture.  It’s a grainy picture of an obviously crack potted man trying to explain how, using a hilarious number of colors on his extremely confusing charts, the crash actually happened.  They actually had his real, legitimate, presentation ready white board on display in Science Fair Project 5:

Road Trip NM 011 Resized

I will just let you peruse that.  Any doubt shadows about aliens?  Decimated.  It’s science, folks.  Eat it.

The dénouement of the museum was a replica of an alien on a gurney:

Road Trip NM 009 Resized 

Were I to work on an alien, I would call both a qualified surgeon, complete with gloves and scrubs, and Don Draper.  he probably comes with his own gloves.

In all, Roswell was a bit of a disappointment.  The town was not as ‘alieny’ as I had hoped for, as there were only a few shops dedicated to alien kitsch.   After the experience, we trekked onward to Abilene, Texas for some good, old-fashioned, only game in town Texas high school football:

 Road Trip TX 001 Resized

No comments:

Post a Comment