Thursday, September 23, 2010

We Made It. To New Jersey.

So. We’re in NJ. Hooray?

The drive down was fairly not crappy. A little traffic in Connecticut, as usual, but no big deal. ON our way to Amanda’s Family compound (small house where her sister sometimes has about 77 kids), we stopped in and saw a couple of her friends. First up? Jess and Scottie.

We ended up heading to dinner at a bar-ish place; Tiff’s. It was serviceable. I ate a turkey Panini and Amanda had Penne Vodka. Again, it was OK. The Panini was a bit Swiss cheesy and the fries were a little cold when they got to the table. No big deal. Amanda enjoyed the pasta. Huzzah.

Here’s the food (heads up for lot of food pictures on this blog):

Road Trip NJ 002 Resized Road Trip NJ 003 Resized

Here’s the restaurant:

Road Trip NJ 001 Resized

And the company:

Road Trip NJ 004 Resized

After dinner, we headed a few minutes away to some other friends of Amanda’s for some sparkling conversation and another apartment tour with Kate and Rob:

Road Trip NJ 005 Resized

Please note in the image above the sweatshirt that Amanda is wearing. It was given to her as a gift from her former work colleagues. It says “The Topham Road Trip 1020”. I also have one. It is embarrassing. A big thanks to the folks at Hasbro who I used to work with for not getting me anything like that when I left.

Also of note: On the trip over to Kate and Rob’s townhouse/conversation, there was a crazy lightning storm. Since we’re trying to film as much as we can, I started to film it. Now (exciting alert), you can relive the lightning, with the boring non-lightning moments edited out. Also, you can hear out Australian GPS. Slammin’:

Thereafter, we drove the half hour or so to the Phelps’ house. It’s where her sister and family live. We basically went straight to bed, on a hilarious bed (two for me), and I slept for about 12 minutes. Here’s how it went:

We started out on top of a futon. The futon had a giant, poufy, fluffy, lumpy, um, thing on top of it:

Road Trip NJ 010 Resized

It was sloped towards the inside of the room and just about the softest thing ever. Amanda likes soft, my back does not. After a little (lot) of tossing around and not being asleep, Amanda and I removed the, um, thing and tried the original futon mattress. It’s fairly old and may or may not have had been used to soften the fall of hundreds of anvils. All of the cushion/softness of it had been used up long ago, so it was essentially like sleeping on a lump laden floor. If that floor was only six feet long and raised.

After some more tossing around, I headed for the bedroom that is used occasionally by Billy’s daughters. Billy is Melissa’s husband. Melissa is Amanda’s sister. This is it:

Road Trip NJ 009 Resized

Not only is it super gay and pink/purple, but it’s also made for a tiny child human. I have not been a tiny human since about 1990. I am now a full grown (height wise, I’m still trying width wise) human. Maybe even an overgrown human. I am six and a half feet tall. In order to stretch out completely, I had to lay diagonally and shove my feet through the white footboard bars. Once my feet were through, if I wanted to change positions, I needed to be somewhat alert to figure out why my feet wouldn’t move. Not the best recipe for a good night’s sleep.

Oh, and fun fact: Those white bars along the side of the bed aren’t just for decoration; they are also great places to bash your forehead by accident when you’re asleep. Awesome.

Once 6:15 rolled around and I was wide awake, yet incredibly tired, I stumbled down the stairs and was greeted by this:

Road Trip NJ 006 Resized

Three rational humans, purposefully doing yoga for 90 minutes. Yeesh.

After the super gay stretching and weirdness (aided by a DVD), we didn’t do much. Melissa’s newest son, Matthew, is a little awkward socially and generally hates new people. He shows his disdain by being ultra extra shy. This is how he spent most of his morning:

Road Trip NJ 007 Resized

In order to try to get him out of his shell, Amanda fake (I hope) farted on him in stretch pants:

Road Trip NJ 008 Resized

She’s very gross.

Amanda’s mom, grandmother and aunt stopped in for a lunch/visit this afternoon and tonight is some sort of game night. I am going to kill everyone in Monopoly and go to bed.

More tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment